Mobile GEH Logo

Wreck of the HANS EGEDE

View it!

Date Added: Sep 24, 2007
Popularity: 0.333333
Category: Ships, Boats, Submarines - Wrecks

(1 comment)

The Hans Egede was a wooden, auxiliary 3-masted ship, built in 1922 by J. Th. Jorgensen at Thuro, Denmark. It was reported damaged by fire on 21 August 1955. and towed to Dover where the fire was extinguished. In 1957 she passed into the ownership of the Atlas Diesel Co. and was towed out of Dover by the tug Westercock. She then spent some years in the Medway as a coal and/or grain hulk. She was then towed to Cubits Town on the Thames. As the tug Fossa from Gravesend was towing her up Sea Reach the strain on the structure, which had become weakened over the years, proved too much causing her to take in water and sink. After grounding on the Blyth Sands she was beached at Cliffe.


Copyright © 2008 -- Google Earth Hacks