Mobile GEH Logo

Bridge Structure of USS Parche (SS-384)

View it!

Date Added: Jan 27, 2010
Popularity: 0.5
Category: Ships, Boats, Submarines on display

(no comments)

The first USS Parche (SS-384/AGSS-384) was a United States Navy submarine. She bore the name (pronounced with two equal syllables: /ˌpɑrˈtʃeɪ/) of a butterfly fish, Chaetodon capistratus.

After World War Two Parche continued her adventures and was assigned to Operation Crossroads as a target ship for the atomic bomb tests at Bikini Atoll. Parche survived both the airburst and the underwater burst, coming through relatively undamaged.

After decontamination, she proceeded to Mare Island Naval Shipyard at Vallejo, California. She was then decommissioned on 10 December 1946 and moved to joined the moth ball fleet Alameda, California in March 1947. On 1 December 1962 her classification was changed to Auxiliary Submarine, AGSS-384 and assigned as a Naval Reserve Training Submarine in Oakland, California.

Parche's name was stricken from the Navy List on 8 November 1969 and sold on 18 June 1970 for scrap. All that remains of her is the original conning tower barrel, bridge structure, shears, and upper gun from the war which remain enshrined at the Naval Submarine Base, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.


Copyright © 2008 -- Google Earth Hacks